Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my job. But even if you love your job, you can still have days where you are running low on steam and everything is getting on top of you – it’s happens to us all!
My job is perfect for me, I work for IOP Publishing and it’s my first ‘proper’ job and it has made realize that publishing is my thing. Eventually I would like to move away from Scientific publishing and more towards fictional or maybe a lifestyle or craft magazine, but for now I am more than happy where I am right now. But regardless of how much I love my job, I have so many days where I just can’t. Whether I have either too much to do, or lacking motivation or just need a few little pick me ups – if this sounds familiar then carry on reading because I have come up with a few really simple ways to put a spring in your steps on rainy days.
1. Take your own mug into work. This sounds really silly but bear with me on this one. My theory is that coffee/tea always tastes better and more satisfying when it’s coming from your own mug, as opposed to the boring white ones work provide. There’s something about the fact that it’s yours that makes it taste SO much better and also maybe a bit more hygienic.. But beware, if your office is anything like the one I work in .. your mug will go walk abouts and end up on someone elses desk. My advice is to wash it at the end of the day and put it back on your desk instead in the kitchen cupboards.
2. Take your earphones to work. That way you can plug your phone in or your computer and fill your ears with up beat and motivating music. However, take it from someone who has been there and remember you are in the office – not at home – so do not start singing along and dancing. People will look at you funny. Trust me.
3. Go for a little walk at lunch. I’m lucky enough to work next to a lovely little park which makes for a nice excursion to get away from the office for a little bit. A change of scenery and a breath of fresh air will give you a boost and prepare you for the rest of the day.
4. Drink a lot of boring old water? Take a bottle of squash to keep at your desk and add a bit of flavour to your day! Something fruity and sweet might just give a bit more energy and the strength to carry on.
5. Bring your hot bottle into work!! This was seriously the best idea I have ever had, hands down. This is especially helpful in the winter when it’s a little breezy in the office. Just that extra bit of warmth will add some coziness to your day and instantly put you in a good mood.
6. Make sure that you enjoy and savour your coffee or tea. Don’t rush it, even if you have a million and one things to do! The world can wait five minutes for you to have your drink. This way you have a little time for yourself and to collect your thoughts, and brace yourself for the whirlwind that is your job.
7. DON’T clock watch. Yes, I know the day is dragging and I know it’s a Friday and you can’t wait to get home but stop it! Clock watching just makes everything seem 100x slower. Just keep yourself busy and put a post-it note over the clock on your computer and before you know it – home time!
These are a few really easy things to do to make your day flow easier and keep you motivated on tough days.
Let me know what you think or if you have any top tips!