This is going to be nice and cliche, but sometimes cliche is the best. Plus, I think I’m writing this post for me more than anything thing else. I’m currently going through a relationship break up and it’s, obviously, pretty tough. We were together for 4 and bit years and we lived together so aside from the relationship breakdown, it’s also a lifestyle change as I now live alone – which is weird. But one of the most important things I have learned from all of this is that you have to learn to love yourself, because at the end of the day your biggest supporter has to be you. So, if you’re having trouble loving yourself, take a look at the list below and try and focus one thing a day and work through the list slowly.
1. Like I said, you biggest supporter is you. You can’t rely on other people to make you happy, because people come and go.
2. There is only one you, you can’t be anyone else so you have to learn to love what you have. Don’t compare yourself to others – that helps nothing. A little tip would be to look in the mirror and pick one thing about yourself that you like. Do this every day, or at least every other day. Wishing to be someone else is just sentencing yourself to lifetime of misery so acknowledge and love what you have!
3. You’re super strong! There’s nothing that you can’t overcome.
4. You’re not perfect. No one is! You have your flaws and your imperfections – we all do and that is 100% okay, so learn to love them.
5. Loving yourself will also motivate you to look after yourself better. You’ll naturally progress to eating better and getting a little bit more exercise, and you’ll probably stop skipping the nightly face wash as well! Your body will be forever thankful to you.
6. As soon as you start to love the skin you’re in, you open yourself up to so much happiness and wouldn’t that just be lovely?
7. Your heart is as big as it gets. You have so much love for everyone!
8. You’re a little weird, maybe even slightly on the crazy side – but that’s what makes you, you. Embrace the weird!
9. You’re emotional and slightly vulnerable. That’s a good thing by the way, it shows you’re human. Your sensitivity and empathy is something to be envied, it means you’re caring and kind – so now it’s time to be that for yourself.
10. You’re stubborn as hell. You’re strong willed and you know what you want – you turn your dreams into reality and that’s really admirable!
11. Your quirky habits! You know what I mean – the way you have to have the toilet roll facing a certain way, or the way you meticulously organize your desk and have to sleep facing a certain way with your leg sticking out just so. Nothing says ‘you’ more than your quirkiness!
12. It will give you the best and also a long standing confidence boost! There’s lots of things you can do to boost your confidence temporarily, but to boost you confidence forever you just need to fall in love with yourself. To be genuinely happy about yourself, the way you look, the way you feel, etc …
So now it’s your turn. Try and make a list of at least 5 things of the things that you love about yourself. It may be tricky to start with, but I’m hoping that once you get started you’ll be bale to reel off a list of things that you really do like about yourself. And, I;m not just talking “I like my smile” I mean something a bit more like “I love that when I smile, the right corner of my lips curl up more than the left and not only do my lips smile, but my eyes light up too.” Like, really get into it. It’ll do you the world of good!